Since that’s not something that works with my current eating plan (except for the butter!), I needed to come up with a low carb stuffed mushrooms recipe just as flavorful, but that fits into my keto and gluten free way of eating.
I could have used my cheesy herb biscuits to introduce a bready element (and I might someday), but honestly I didn’t feel like going to all the trouble of making a batch for this recipe.
I rationalized that some of you might also want a low carb stuffed mushrooms recipe that could be made quickly, and without having to make your own breading to add to it. It was important to me not to sacrifice flavor though, since the mushrooms don’t have a lot of their own.
I chose bacon because…..well, do I really need to complete that sentence? I didn’t think so. The spinach is a great filler, nutritious and tasty. You could use any cheese, but the feta delivers a punch of tangy flavor that I love.
With all of these bold players involved, this stuffed mushroom is definitely not missing the breading. I did add just a touch of almond flour (you could also use coconut flour) to soak up some of that deliciousness and keep it from running out during cooking. Also a pinch of nutmeg which enhances the flavor of the spinach.
Overall I would say these low carb stuffed mushroomswere a hit. As a bonus, they are very easy to make – the perfect low carb appetizer for your next party!
I grilled mine, but you could also bake them with excellent results.
A low carb and gluten free stuffed mushroom recipe that is packed with bold flavors!
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach, raw
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp almond flour
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 mushroom caps, brushed of any debris
- In a medium saute pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Add the butter and onions, cooking until softened, 3 – 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, or until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and add the nutmeg, almond flour, and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool. Stuff filling into mushroom caps and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (F) or until the mushrooms are tender. Alternatively, grill the mushrooms for about 6 – 8 minutes over medium heat. Serve hot.
Approximate nutrition information:
per mushroom: 54 calories, 4g fat, 1g net carbs, 3g protein
per serving (4): 215 calories, 16g fat, 4g net carbs, 13g protein
- Serving Size: 4 stuffed mushrooms
If you love low carb stuffed mushrooms as much as I do, don’t miss my Chorizo, Spinach & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms!