This easy keto ice cream cake can be made with any flavor of ice cream + shortbread crust! I went with a chocolate flavored crust and a coffee flavored ice cream for this low carb ice cream cake recipe, but you are only limited by your imagination flavor-wise!
This super easy keto ice cream cake is almost more a method than a recipe. Because you can flavor a basic shortbread crust anyway you want, and then after baking and cooling, load up the rest of your pan with the keto ice cream of your choice and call it a day!
But honestly with so many good options for keto friendly low carb ice creams sold in the grocery store or online now, you don’t even have to bother making your own ice cream for this easy keto ice cream cake! Just buy your favorite flavor and use a shortbread crust that complements it! Chocolate drizzle optional!
For a fruit flavored ice cream try my lemon almond shortbread dough as a base. For a nut based ice cream (like this pecan praline ice cream) my pistachio almond shortbread dough would be ideal. If you want to use multiple ice cream flavors and layers, you can do that and freeze for about 20 minutes in between each layer.
To really take your keto ice cream cake over the top, try crumbling baked shortbread crumbs in between the layers for an added crunch and pizzaz! My keto strawberry shortcake ice cream bon bons would work awesome in cake form for example!
This easy keto ice cream cake is a perfect summer dessert, and for a fun twist, you can serve by inserting popsicle sticks into the end of the slice and eating it with no fork required! For this to work properly though, your freezer will have to really freeze this cake firmly.
Unfortunately I was shooting on the location and the freezer there never got the cake really really firm. That combined with the Honduran heat made these melt far to quickly to enjoy them on the stick – no problem, they tasted just as amazing when eating them with a spoon!
I’ll give you the nutrition info for my chocolate shortbread crust and my keto coffee ice cream separately – that way if you use store-bought ice cream you can calculate the totals for your ice cream brand + my shortbread crust on your own if necessary.
Easy Keto Ice Cream Cake – Low Carb
This easy keto ice cream cake is perfect for parties and gatherings. Can be made with homemade ice cream or store-bought to make it even easier! Low carb, gluten free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 29 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: easy keto desserts
For the chocolate cookie crust:
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups almond flour (superfine blanched)
- 1/2 cup granulated erythritol sweetener
For the filling:
- double batch of my keto coffee ice cream (or 2 pints keto friendly ice cream of your choice)
- 2 ounces Lindt 90% chocolate (or other keto friendly dark chocolate) (optional)
For the chocolate cookie crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the melted butter, cocoa powder, almond flour and sweetener in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Press the cookie crust firmly and evenly into a 10 inch springform pan covering the bottom and going up the sides by about 1/2 inch.
- Bake the crust for 14 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
To assemble the ice cream cake:
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and soften on the counter for five to ten minutes, or until soft serve consistency and easy to spread.
- Place the ice cream on top of the crust by spoonfuls and then spread with a knife or spatula until smooth and evenly dispersed over the crust.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- If using the optional chocolate drizzle, place chocolate in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir. If not liquified, microwave again for 10 seconds at a time until liquid.
- Cool the chocolate for 2 minutes and then transfer to a plastic baggie. Snip the bottom tip off leaving a tiny hole.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and squeeze the melted chocolate from the bag in any pattern you choose onto the top and sides of the cake.
- Return to the freezer for at least one hour or until firm enough to slice and serve.
Nutrition info for chocolate crust: 160 calories, 15g fat, 4g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g net carbs, 4g protein
Net carbs per serving of ice cream cake made with my coffee ice cream = 4g
- Serving Size: 1/12 of cake
- Calories: 518
- Fat: 50g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: ice cream, cake, easy, desserts, keto, low carb, party food, summer, treats, gluten free