Since the low carb General Tso’s Meatballs were so popular, I thought I’d use that same sauce for a low carb General Tso’s chicken wing recipe.
Because seriously, who doesn’t love chicken wings??? And though I’m a huge fan of classic buffalo wings, sometimes you want to change it up a bit with some other flavors.
In some ways, these are even easier than the General Tso’s Meatballs, because you just cook the wings and toss them in the sauce – no meatball mixing required.
But while this recipe is less hands on, it does take a little longer overall, since you have to cook the chicken wings for about 45 minutes before saucing.
I prefer to bake my wings before saucing, because it’s much less labor intensive than frying them. If you leave them in the oven “naked” long enough, they get a nice crunchy exterior. This also allows time for all of the internal fat to melt out, leaving behind tender, fall off the bone meat.
But if frying is your thang, by all means cook them any way you choose!
Then you just toss them in the sauce, hit them for a few minutes under the broiler, and you’re ready to nom! Just make sure to have plenty of napkins on hand!
Sweet, spicy and loaded with that General Tso’s flavor that you love, these will be a hit with the whole family! They also make the perfect low carb appetizer for your next party!
A low carb and gluten free recipe for General Tso’s Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs chicken wings
For the Sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbl unseasoned (sugar free) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 3 Tbl wheat free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbl granulated sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 4 – 5 small dried chillies, chopped
- Cut your wings through the joint if whole, to separate the wing from the drumette. Spread on a sheet pan and bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 45 minutes or until crunchy and golden brown. Meanwhile, combine all of the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and whisk together until smooth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat. When the wings are fully cooked, toss in the sauce to coat. Put the wings back on the baking sheet and broil (carefully!) for about two minutes or until the sauce is bubbling. Serve with lots of napkins!
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 417 calories, 27g fat, 1.75g net carbs, 37g protein
- Serving Size: about 8 pieces
Can’t get enough low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!