As I’ve mentioned in recent posts, we’ve been traveling a LOT lately due to house hunting and a few other projects that have taken us out of the state. During our travels, we found a Mexican restaurant in Cleveland, GA that had a dish called Chori Pollo (pronounced Shore-ee-Poy-oh) on the menu. I’d never heard of it before, but since I LOVE Chorizo and the dish met my low carb and gluten free criteria, I decided to give it a try. AMAZING.
It’s basically seasoned cooked chicken (pollo), topped with Mexican Chorizo (Chori) and caramelized onions, and smothered with melted cheese. A deceptively simple combination of ingredients – together they make a dish that is incredibly flavorful and addicting! Mr. Hungry and I both loved it and have ordered it multiple times since then. Apparently lots of Mexican restaurants have it on the menu, and I just never noticed it until now. Be sure to look for it next time you’re at your favorite Mexican joint – you won’t be sorry!
I knew I could easily recreate this recipe at home, and also that it would make a perfect low carb turkey leftover recipe, which is why I waited until now to share it. Unfortunately a lot of turkey leftover recipes use the same ingredients as the turkey dinner, so the flavor profile is similar and gets boring quick.
This is a great recipe to completely transform your leftover turkey into something totally new and exciting – an attractive prospect when you’re on Day 3 and suffering major turkey burnout.
Obviously you can also make this any time of year with cooked chicken as well – make it with a rotisserie chicken and you’ve got dinner on the table in less than half an hour.
In the Mexican restaurants they serve the Chori Pollo with a side of rice and beans, some lettuce, tomato and guacamole, and a few tortillas. Depending on your family’s dietary restrictions, you can use corn tortillas to keep it gluten free, and if you’re low carb it’s perfect on it’s own or served over shredded romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes with some sour cream and avocado on top.
This low carb Mexican recipe also reheats well and will keep for several days so it makes the perfect low carb lunch for during the week. Seriously, what’s not to love?Print
Low Carb Mexican Chori Pollo Recipe – Gluten Free
A delicious low carb Mexican recipe that is the perfect use for your turkey or chicken leftovers! A Keto, LCHF, and Atkins diet friendly recipe.
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 cups shredded (cooked) chicken or turkey meat
- 8 oz raw Mexican Chorizo
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 cup shredded jack or cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan and add your sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook over low medium heat for 7 – 10 minutes or until golden and caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside. Remove the chorizo from the plastic packaging and add to the pan you just cooked the onions in. Cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon until cooked through. Remove and set aside. Add your cooked shredded chicken or turkey to the pan along with the coriander, cumin, garlic powder, and chipotle powder. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Heat for 3 – 5 minutes.
To assemble the Chori Pollo:
- Spread the chicken out to a depth of about 1 inch in an oven proof casserole dish. Sprinkle the chorizo evenly over the top of the chicken. Then spread the onions over the chorizo. Finally, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 10 minutes or the cheese has melted. Serve hot with sour cream and whatever other Mexican “fixings” you prefer.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 405 calories, 30g fat, 3g net carbs, 37g protein
- Serving Size: Approximately 3/4 cup
Don’t forget to enter my November Giveaway for your chance to win a KitchenAid Stand Mixer in your choice of some truly awesome colors! Or a $300 Amazon Gift Card if you’d rather go shopping!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!