It’s day four in my week of low carb cookie recipes, and if you’re like me you are probably not sick of cookies yet. As if! ???
When I was putting together my editorial calendar for this week I actually had a hard time deciding in what order to post the low carb cookie recipes. Did I save the best for last or start strong with my keto cookie favorites?
Frankly I love them all – but I will say that the keto almond crescent cookies from yesterday and these low carb Clementine Cardamom Shortbread Cookies are my two favorites of the week, with these edging into first place by a small margin. ?
What sets these apart from the other delicious low carb cookies I posted this week?
First, I love shortbread cookies. Like, really LOVE THEM. ?????
It’s a major cause of dissension in our house because the Hungry dudes are both fans of gooey cookies like chocolate chip (me too) or oatmeal raisin (don’t even get me started – raisins, BLECH) and neither of them likes shortbread cookies usually.
I’m ok with it (more for me) but our conversations about the merits of one type of cookie over the other can get quite heated. We’ve agreed to live and let live for the sake of peace (but shortbreads ARE the best amiright?!?)
The second reason this low carb cookie recipe won out over the others is because of the flavor. I used clementine zest and ground cardamom in the shortbread dough and it was a winning combination if there ever was one.
The clementine (or tangerine) zest has a distinct flavor that is slightly different from regular orange, and it perfectly complemented the cardamom. ???
These are complex tasting keto cookies that everyone will love – from your kids to your foodie friends.
I brought these keto shortbread cookies to a dessert party and they were such a hit that nobody could believe they were low carb and gluten free. I was thrilled to see that they could stand alongside traditional sugar-laden desserts and cookies, let alone be one of the favorites of the night!
Even shortbread hating Mr. Hungry agreed that these low carb shortbread cookies were pretty amazing – and that’s no mean feat right there! ?
You can skip the chocolate if you want, but I will say that the dark chocolate adds to the overall flavor profile and is what pushes these keto friendly cookies over the edge from really good to mind-blowingly fantastic.
Tomorrow I wrap up IBIH low carb cookie week with an epic roundup of the best keto cookie recipes from all around the interwebs! See you there! ?????
These delectable low carb shortbread cookies are flavored with cardamom and clementine zest, then dipped in dark chocolate! Gluten free and egg free too!
- Combine the melted butter, almond flour, sweetener, cardamom, and zest in a medium bowl and mix until well combined. Form into a ball and chill for 10 minutes.
- Press or roll between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a 6 x 8 inch rectangle with a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Cut (but don’t separate) into sixteen 3 inch by 1 inch rectangles and poke with a fork to decorate if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 14 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Cool and cut along scored lines into sixteen cookies.
- Melt the chocolate in a narrow coffee mug in the microwave for 1 minute, then 30 additional seconds at a time until melted. Dip the bottom 1/3 of each cooking into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined surface to cool.
- Sprinkle with additional clementine zest before the chocolate has completely hardened.
To see a list of my favorite low carb products and brands that I recommend for sweeteners, flours, etc. you can check out the IBIH Pantry Ingredients Page!
- Serving Size: per cookie
- Calories: 124
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 2g net
- Protein: 4
Can’t get enough low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!