I love spinach and artichoke dip! Who doesn’t really? Even my husband who is not a huge vegetable fan likes it – I mean you put enough cheese and cream into veggies and pretty much anyone will like it.
Problem is, it’s not the healthiest thing for you. On a carb restrictive diet you can eat more of it but then you can’t have all the yummy chips or crackers that usually accompany it and it’s just not the same without something crunchy to eat it on.
I did make these low carb crackers which helped but I was wracking my brain trying to think of a way to get all those yummy flavors together that I could just eat by itself.
Viola – soup! And it’s the perfect time of year to enjoy a hot, creamy bowl of soup that tastes exactly like spinich and artichoke dip!
The bonus is that if you aren’t on a low carb diet or are just watching your calories, you can get all those yummy flavors and have more control over the fat and calories by using milk instead of cream, less cheese, etc. and it still tastes great!
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups canned artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 oz Dubliner or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- (H & H or milk if not low carb)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Puree.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If you want a richer flavor you can add another Tablespoon of butter right before serving. Told you it was easy!