So it’s Meatball Monday and have I got a great low carb meatball recipe for you guys! This was actually supposed to get posted last week, but I was having server issues and couldn’t post anything for a few days. On top of that, the entire post got deleted in the server switch and I had to start from scratch.
Mentally, I was too frustrated to even try rewriting it at the time, so I took a little blogging break for the week. Lest you think I was just lounging by the pool the whole time though (well, there may or may not have been some pool lounging, but even then my brain was smoking from all that thinking about working!) I was very busy behind the scenes, and on a project I’m excited to share with you guys very soon!
For now, let’s talk meatballs!
This recipe is really a complete low carb meal, though the meatball definitely remains the star. Loaded with delicious low carb veggies (baby corn, bok choi, eggplant, YUM), it’s very filling! Don’t shy away from the baby corn either, the entire can has only 4g net carbs due to the high fiber and low sugar content.
This dish is pretty versatile – the sauce is so delicious that you could replace the meatballs with any protein, or omit them altogether, and serve it as a veggie side, or if you’re vegetarian just add even more veggies or suitable vegetarian protein and you’re good to go. Or even skip the veggies, and just eat the meatballs and sauce like a Thai version of Swedish meatballs! There is no end to the combinations you could make here.
[pinterest text=”Thai Red Curry Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/thaimeatballs2small-632×950.jpg”]
As always, I tried to jam a lot of flavor into the meatballs themselves, so that even if you go naked (the meatballs, not you) they will still taste great!Print
A Thai inspired low carb and gluten free meatball recipe that the entire family will love!
For the meatballs
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp red curry paste
For the Sauce
- 2 cups eggplant, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 4 cups bok choi, chopped
- 1 can baby corn, drained and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste (in the asian section of most grocery stores)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (garnish, optional)
To make the Meatballs:
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and form into 16 meatballs. Saute in a nonstick pan with just a little bit of coconut oil if necessary, until golden brown on all sides – about 3 – 4 minutes per side should do it. Remove from pan onto a paper towel-lined plate while you make the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan. Add the curry paste and cook for about one minute. Add the eggplant and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the bok choi and baby corn and cook for another 2 minutes, or until bok choi leaves are wilted. Pour the coconut milk and almond milk into the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the fish sauce, sweetener, and meatballs to the pan. Stir, and simmer gently for about five minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and serve with a generous amount of fresh chopped cilantro.
Approximate nutrition information:
per “naked” meatball: 95 calories, 7g fat, .4g net carbs, 8g protein
per serving with sauce and veg: 567 calories, 43g fat, 6.25g net carbs, 38g protein
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs, 1 cup vegetables with sauce
[pinterest text=”Thai Red Curry Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/thaimeatballsfeaturedsmall.jpg”]
Love meatballs?!?! (Of course you do!) Check out some of these other IBIH Meatball Monday Favorites: General Tso’s Meatballs, Carolina BBQ Meatballs, Loaded Nacho Meatballs, and Jalapeno Popper Meatballs, just to name a few! Or type meatballs into the search bar for a complete list!
For more great recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!8