Who doesn’t love a great steak??? Am I right??? It’s one of the most delicious things out there. Entire restaurant concepts are devoted to it, and for good reason – a high quality, perfectly cooked steak is a thing of beauty.
One of my favorite ways to eat steak (and there are many), is with with some form of blue cheese – like these Grilled Ribeyes with Gorgonzola Butter. Another of my favorite classic steak preparations is with sauteed mushrooms and red wine sauce.
For awhile now I’ve wanted to make a meatball that would be an ode to one of these combinations, and this past weekend I went for it.
When it came down to it though, I couldn’t decide how to choose between the two concepts for this week’s low carb meatball recipe. So in the end, I decided to combine ALL of my favorite steak accompaniments into one meatball dish!
I know it’s not really steak, but the flavor of the beef in the meatballs, with all of that other goodness included, makes it almost as delicious – and so much cheaper if you’re on a budget!
[pinterest text=”Beef and Blue Cheese Meatball Recipe with Red Wine Sauce (low carb and gluten free) by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/blueballs2small-679×950.jpg”]
I do recommend that you use a good quality ground beef for these – just don’t go too lean or you’ll sacrifice flavor and they could end up too dry. An 85/15 ratio of protein to fat would work well for this recipe.
Same goes for the red wine sauce – while there’s no need to bust out that bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafite that you’ve been saving for a special occasion, you want a decent full-bodied red wine (think zinfandel, cabernet sauvignon, or even merlot) for this recipe.
A good rule of thumb when cooking with wine is that if it doesn’t taste good when you drink it, it won’t taste good when you cook with it either. So please don’t drag out that half empty bottle of Riunite Lambrusco that’s been in the back of your fridge since the 1990’s for this sauce. I’m begging you to pour that swill down the sink already, and pony up the $8 – $10 for a drinkable red wine that will work in this recipe.
Or simply omit the red wine sauce altogether – the meatballs are still fantastic without it!
[pinterest text=”Beef and Blue Cheese Meatball Recipe with Red Wine Sauce (low carb and gluten free) by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/blueballs3small-700×471.jpg”]
- 1lb ground beef (85/15 preferred)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- ¼ cup crumbled or chopped blue cheese (chilled)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- 2 cups red wine (zinfandel, cabernet or merlot preferred)
- 1 Tbsp butter (cold)
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients (except olive oil) in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly, but gently, so the blue cheese doesn't melt into the meat mix (this is also why you want the cheese cold when you mix it in). Form into 12 meatballs. Saute in olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat until the meatballs are golden brown on all sides and cooked to your liking in the center (I'm a rebel so I left mine a little rare.)
- After removing the meatballs from the pan, drain most of the fat off, leaving a small amount behind. Add the red wine and cooked until reduced to about ½ cup. Remove from the heat and cool for about 2 minutes. Then whisk in the cold butter until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick saute pan. Add the mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh thyme leaves before serving.
per naked meatball: 132 calories, 9g fat, .3g net carbs, 12g protein
per serving (3) naked meatballs: 395 calories, 27g fat, .9g net carbs, 35g protein
per serving mushrooms: 59 calories, 6g fat, .75g net carbs, 1g protein
per serving wine sauce: 119 calories, 3g fat, 3.25g net carbs, 0g protein
per serving (3) meatballs w/ works: 573 calories, 33g fat, 4.9g net carbs, 38g protein
[pinterest text=”Beef and Blue Cheese Meatball Recipe with Red Wine Sauce (low carb and gluten free) by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/blueballssmall-700×466.jpg”]
For more great low carb and gluten free meatball recipes, check out these other IBIH Meatball Monday favorites!