This Keto Summer Squash Salad is a delicious and easy low carb chopped salad using yellow summer squash, herbs, feta, walnuts, and a tasty lemon dressing. Refreshing and light, it’s a great way to use up those courgettes growing in your garden this summer!
This Keto Summer Squash Salad recipe makes delicious use of low carb yellow squash, with bonus points for the vibrant colors.
When it comes to keto vegetables, green zucchini is second only to cauliflower in popularity. But its cousin yellow squash is like the red headed stepchild that is constantly overlooked!
Give yellow squash a chance – it can pretty much do anything a zucchini can do – and it’s prettier too!
Mild in flavor and with a pleasant texture eaten raw, yellow summer squash is the perfect low carb veggie to use in your keto salads.
This hearty keto summer squash salad is easy to throw together and you don’t need a lot of complicated or expensive ingredients either!
Ingredients you will need to make this salad
- yellow summer squash (or zucchini, any courgette will do)
- feta cheese (I prefer sheep’s milk feta, but any Greek feta will work)
- walnuts (pecans or hazelnuts would also work)
- parsley (basil or cilantro will change the flavor but still be tasty)
- keto lemon dressing
Equipment you will need to make this recipe
Nothing fancy required here!
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- serving bowl or platter
How to make this Keto Summer Squash Salad
Chop the squash (no need to peel it first.) I like to cut it in half lengthwise, then in half again so there are four strips, then slice them so you end up with small quarter round pieces that are perfectly bite-sized.
Chop a block of feta, or buy the crumbled feta to make it even easier.
Chop walnuts, or buy pre-chopped walnuts and throw them in as is.
Chop your parsley or other herbs if using.
Toss together and dress with the keto lemon dressing.
How to Store this Keto Chopped Salad
Because it won’t wilt, a chopped salad like this one lasts for days in the fridge, and actually tastes even better the day after you make it.
Store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days – any longer than that and it will definitely be getting soggy.
Don’t freeze this keto summer squash salad.
Serving Suggestions for this Keto Squash Salad
- Serve as is, cold or room temperature as a side dish
- Serve over other greens to add flavor and texture
- Add to an antipasto platter or charcuterie board
Variations and Substitutions for this recipe
While this keto summer squash salad is delicious as is, there are lots of ways to customize it to your tastes, or just to jazz it up a bit more.
- You can replace the yellow squash with zucchini
- You can add cooked chicken or tuna to make it a complete meal
- Stir in capers, roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, or chopped olives for even more flavor and color.
- You can replace the walnuts with almost any other nut, or omit them if you have an allergy
- You can replace the feta cheese with cubed or grated parmesan, asiago, or another sharp cheese of your choice. Or omit it if you are avoiding dairy.
- You can replace the parsley with basil, cilantro, mint or fresh dill to change up the flavors. Or use a combination of your favorites.