Coming in at just 100 calories per serving, this super healthy Keto Chicken Soup is flavored with green tomatillos, cilantro and lime – and has a decidedly spicy kick to it. If you omit the corn garnish, it’s also Whole30 compliant.
Whether you’ve got the sniffles, are seeking healthy keto comfort foods, or you’re just sick of being cold like I am, this keto chicken soup will warm you all the way through.
With a flavor profile that leans toward Mexican, this healthy chicken soup is spicy enough to make your nose run, but not enough to burn your tongue off. You can adjust the heat in this soup by using more or less of the habanero peppers, or by substituting jalapeño peppers instead.
Tips for making the best keto chicken soup
First – Soup will always taste better made with homemade stock, so for this keto chicken soup I recommend using my chicken bone broth (which can be made quickly and easily in an Instant Pot.) If you don’t have time to make your own broth, you can get away with store bought chicken broth for this low carb chicken soup because it’s got so many other flavorful ingredients in it.
Second – You don’t have to roast your own chicken to make chicken soup. If you’re looking for ways to make a quick and easy keto chicken soup, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken on your way home and shred it in a matter of minutes to add to this soup.
Third – Don’t use carrots or potatoes (but no need to be sad about it.) When making a keto chicken soup, you have to limit or omit vegetables like potatoes and carrots to keep the net carbs down. Not to worry, there are many acceptable keto substitutes that are much lower in carbs but still bring plenty of flavor and texture! In this low carb chicken soup recipe I used celery root (celeriac) to stand in for the typical potatoes and it worked like a charm!
How long does it take to make good chicken soup?
When I was a kid, my mom would take all day to make chicken soup. She would start with a whole chicken and simmer it for hours. Later, she’d remove the chicken, take the meat off the bones, add it back to the broth with a bunch of veggies, and cook it for the rest of the afternoon until dinner time.
It made the house smell amazing, and the end result was delicious, but unfortunately most of us don’t have an entire day to devote to making a delicious pot of healthy chicken soup.
Fortunately for you, this keto chicken soup can be made in less than an hour!
How to make quick and easy keto chicken soup
- In this easy low carb chicken soup recipe you will literally put all of your ingredients (except for the cilantro and scallion garnish) in one pot at the beginning
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-40 minutes – just to get the celery root softened and the flavors combined.
- Garnish and serve hot.
That’s it! Easy peasy, right???
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- chicken broth
- cooked chicken
- celery root (celeriac)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- canned green chilis
- tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- habanero or jalapeno pepper
- fresh corn – optional garnish as shown in photos
Equipment you will need to make this recipe
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- large pot
Low carb chicken soup substitutions and variations
- To adjust the spice level in this soup, you can add more or less habaneros – if you want to tone down the heat you can replace the habaneros with jalapeños.
- If you can’t find celeriac, you can substitute an equal amount of chopped radish, turnips, or even cauliflower florets instead.
- If you can’t find salsa verde made with tomatillos, a regular tomato-based salsa will also work, but it will change the flavor profile significantly.
- If you aren’t eating this keto chicken soup on the Whole30 or Squeaky Clean Keto Challenge, then I recommend a generous dollop of sour cream and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese as additions. They give it more of a white chicken chili vibe that is definitely hearty enough to stand alone as a main meal.
Loaded with bold flavors and hearty texture, this healthy and low calorie keto chicken soup is delicious and satisfying – especially if you’re coming in from the cold.
More Keto Chicken Soup RecipesPrint
Before you go, I’ve got lots of great low carb and gluten free e-cookbooks out, and I’m currently running a special where you can get all five of them (over 150 recipes) for just $19.99! Get more information over on the Cookbooks page!