Yup, it’s true, I used up my fifteen minutes of (dubious) fame when I competed on The View’s Next Food Network Star (a precursor to the popular show currently on the Food Network) back in 2004.
Sadly, I didn’t win, though I did come in 3rd out of 16, and I had a GREAT time doing it. I went to NYC several times and got to meet Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, and Rocco DiSpirito in the process.
My favorite round was crab cakes, which I love, and Bobby Flay was our celebrity chef guest judge. I did a trio of crab cakes (Maryland, Southwestern, and Asian) which were pretty awesome (she types modestly) if I do say so. Bobby (who was very nice in person BTW) must not have hated them, because I’m happy to say I made it to the next round.
I’d love to share those crab cake recipes with you – but along with the tapes of the shows, they got lost somewhere in our travels. But not to worry, since none of those recipes were low carb or gluten free, and they certainly weren’t Whole 30 compliant, I put together a crab cake recipe that meets all of those criteria.
Are they as good as my competition crab cake recipes? No. Those had lots of decadent ingredients in them that I couldn’t use for these (like a yummy tequila mango sauce, nom nom nom!) However, while these low carb crab cakes might not be winning me any contests, they are still pretty delicious – and so much healthier for you!
I’d venture to guess that even Bobby Flay would approve, since the minimal ingredients highlight the delicately sweet flavor of the crab. Which is as it should be because good crab meat doesn’t really need anything to make it taste amazing. Except this roasted red pepper sauce – which tastes great with almost everything!
Low Carb Crab Cakes w/ Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
A delicious low carb and gluten free crab cake recipe that is simple to make but impressive enough for special occasions!
- Yield: 8 crab cakes 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Gently pick through the crab to make sure there are no shells or cartilage in the meat, and add to a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine the egg, lemon juice, and dijon mustard, mixing until smooth. In a third bowl, combine the old bay, parsley, and coconut flour, mixing thoroughly. Gently add the egg mixture to the crab, folding until combined. Then add the dry ingredients to the crab mixture and gently mix in. Try not to break up/shred the pieces of crab too much.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a nonstick saute pan. Form 8 small cakes and place carefully in the hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt, squeeze half a fresh lemon over them and serve with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
Approx nutrition info per crab cake: 65 calories, 4g fat, .4g net carbs, 6g protein
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
A delicious low carb and gluten free roasted red pepper sauce that is Whole 30 compliant and can dress up chicken, seafood, and even vegetables!
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh avocado
- Blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Approx nutrition info per 2 Tbsp of sauce: 30 calories, 3g fat, .7g net carbs, 0g protein
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!