If you’re like me, you sometimes get cravings for certain cuisines – Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc. Unfortunately, all too often those cravings lead to cheating, and then guilt and terror over facing the dreaded scale the next morning.
Don’t despair though, because even when you’re on a Paleo, low carb or keto diet, you can still indulge in some of your favorite ethnic dishes – without the guilt! There are a LOT of awesome bloggers out there who have worked hard to recreate some of our favorite Mexican, Italian, Asian and other recipes, in low carb and gluten free versions that look and taste amazing!
I’m devoting the next few weekends to putting together collections of some of my favorite or “must try” low carb recipes in each cuisine. Since I’m a total Mexican food junkie, I’m going with low carb Mexican recipes first! So let’s get to it!
1. First up is one of my own recipes for Low Carb Spicy Salsa Verde! I’m including this one because tomatillo-based salsa verde is the foundation of lots of fantastic low carb Mexican recipes. You can buy it, but it’s so easy and inexpensive to make your own that you really should try it. I usually make and can a batch at least once a season, so I always have some on hand when the mood strikes!
2. I love getting the salad bowl at Chipotle, and one of my favorite meat options is always the barbacoa – chunks of slow cooked, Mexican-seasoned beef that melts in your mouth! Thanks to Gimme Some Oven’s recipe, you can now make your own low carb barbacoa at home in the slow cooker! Doesn’t get much easier than that!
3. One of the things I’m dying to do with that barbacoa recipe, is jam some into these gorgeous Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls from Making Thyme for Health! I would skip the beans and corn – but that’s the great thing about this recipe, you can customize it to make your own.
4. Another great low carb Mexican recipe using spaghetti squash is my Cheesy Chili Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Easy to make, this is a mildly spicy recipe that the whole family will love!
5. Meatloaf is an American favorite, and Your Lighter Side has created a low carb meatloaf recipe with a delicious Mexican twist! More cheese please!
6. Looking for something a little lighter or got a craving for seafood? These gorgeous Spicy Shrimp with Chilis and Garlic from Skinnytaste are sure to hit the spot! Even though it’s super easy to make, this low carb shrimp recipe is pretty enough for company!
7. I have a deep and abiding love for quesadillas, and had yet to find a satisfying low carb replacement – until now. The genius low carb blogger behind Up Late Anyway created these low carb quesadilla shells that have everyone running for the kitchen! JUST. LOOK. AT. THEM. Aaaaaand now I’m starving.
8. You know what goes awesome with quesadillas (and everything else on the planet?) Guacamole! Closet Cooking has combined two of my favorite foods with his BACON GUACAMOLE. If only I could buy this stuff by the gallon – “Shut up and take my money!” I guess I’ll have to settle for making this at home – at least it’s super easy!
9. If you miss the crunch of hard-shelled corn tacos, Holistically Engineered has you covered with these Grain Free Taco Shells!
10. If you prefer soft taco shells, cabbage leaves actually make a pretty great stand in, and there is almost zero work involved! Try it with my Chorizo Meatball Taco Recipe, and be sure to add lots of sour cream and chopped cilantro to them!
11. Hate the messiness of taco shells, but love the tasty filling? Kalyn’s Kitchen solves your problem with this delicious and healthy low carb fish taco cabbage bowl! All the flavors of the classic fish taco, in an easy to eat and packable lunch friendly recipe!
12. Another great Mexican recipe served in a bowl is this delicious Chori-Pollo. Seasoned chicken, topped with spicy Mexican Chorizo, caramelized onions and lots of melted cheese – what’s not to love!?
13. I’m a big fan of one pot casserole recipes – they are easy to make and easy to serve. Perfect for a weeknight dinner – AND you’ll have perfectly portioned low carb leftovers all week for lunch! This delicious looking Mexican Casserole from The Low Carb Diet has all your favorite Mexican flavors in one family friendly recipe.
14. My Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Roasted Poblanos bring the heat and a soothing creaminess, all at the same time! This is one of my favorite low carb Mexican recipes here on IBIH! Don’t be intimidated by the roasted poblanos either – you can make this recipe casserole style and substitute canned chopped green chilis to make it even easier and just as delicious!
15. No Mexican recipe roundup would be complete without some Mexican chocolate included, and All Day I Dream About Food has created the perfect end to any Mexican meal with her Low Carb Mexican Hot Chocolate! Time to kick those lousy hot chocolate packets to the curb! Topped with whipped cream, cocoa powder, and cinnamon – this rich and creamy mug of awesome will definitely be a crowd-pleaser!
So there you have it! If these 15 fantastic low carb Mexican recipes don’t help satisfy your South of the Border cravings then I give up! Have you tried any of them? Let us know what you thought in the comments!
Be sure to enter my December Giveaway to be one of TWO winners of a bundle containing over $200 worth of my favorite keto and low carb essentials!